AWARE Self Defense Bootcamps have their roots in the practical applications of Israeli Commando Krav Maga, Philippino, Doce Pares, Japanese Judo/Jiu-Jitsu and other Traditional Martial Arts. Because there are no rules in a street fight or a personal attack our instructors have pooled their knowledge base and experience and created a self-defense system based on a few basic principles:
- The simpler the technique the more practical it is.
- The technique must have only 2-3 gross body movements to complete.
- The technique must be able to be successfully completed by any individual regardless of their size against any individual regardless of their size.
If a technique does not fit into even one these 3 rules, then we do not adopt it. And, we are constantly looking for improvements that can be made as we train, learn and grow!
Our classes are reality based which may not only be foreign to you but we have found that this phrase is open to numerous interpretations. For us ‘reality based’ means that:
- While some techniques are broken down and taught statically, the finished technique has no practicality if it is not taught dynamically. You will learn all of our self-defense techniques in a practical and dynamic fashion.
- We always train as if our attackers are bigger, stronger and faster than us. In addition, multiple attackers are always taken into consideration.
- You will train your learned techniques in an unlimited number of scenarios and environments: Stairwells, Elevators, Parking lots, wearing winter clothes, with obstacles, and even in the dark are just a few examples.
- You must learn to defend yourself under extremely stressful situations including the stress from fatigue. Our Stress and Strain Training and Testing are the keystone to understanding your realistic and practical ability to defend yourself or a loved one.
Finally, safety is the most important portion for ourselves and our students. Safety aspects are considered in the development of all of our techniques. We all have to get up and go to work the next day. But, having addressed safety, please remember we are not teaching you how to bake bread. We are teaching you to survive an attack from a nasty individual or individuals who want to harm, and/or kill you or a loved one. You will be sore and you will end up with some bruises. That is part of any reality based self-defense training and to be honest will only help you understand how you will function under the duress of an attack.