Mark’s passion for teaching self-defense started 22 years ago when he working in the Emergency Department as a Physician Assistant. His experience helping patients who had fallen victim to either street or domestic violence, left him wanting to do more than he could within his medical profession. Mark, decided 9 year ago to use his traditional martial arts skills of Tang Soo Do in conjunction with his training in Commando Krav Maga to put together a self-protection course that would be simple and effective. This proved more difficult than he had anticipated. Luckily, finding techniques that fit into those 2 requirements for the unlimited scenarios has lead him to develop AWARE, a multidisciplinary approach to self- protection.
Mark served in the Navy as Search and Rescue Swimmer after which he received his master’s in health science and PA Certification from the George Washington University. Next, he rejoined the military for 10 years and served two tours in Iraq treating emergent and traumatic injuries.
Mark has been married to Susan for 21+ years has 4 dogs and 3 children, Madeline who is 19, Mitchell who is 17 and Mark who is 16. In his spare time….wait he has no spare time. But, if he did you would find him at his CrossFit box or sleeping!
- Married with 3 children ad 4 dogs
- US Navy and Army Veteran
- Commando Krav Maga (CKM) Instructor, Level VI
- Black Belt, Tang Soo Do, Second Dan
- Masters in Health Science/Physician Assistant GWU
- CrossFit Level 2 Trainer Certificate
- USAW Sports Performance Coach
- FMT-2 Rock Tape Certified
- Certified Kettle bell Instructor
- Elite Combat Fitness Instructor